Parents sounded off on rampant violence and drug use at Massachusetts’ largest high school on Tuesday after Gov. Maura Healey denied a request from some school committee members to send in the National Guard.

“This is a question of your leadership and discipline, not the children,” one speaker told the school committee, according to WCVB.

Go Ad-Free, Get Content, Go Premium Today - $1 Trial

“If this was a stunt, I guess I can get that now, we have everybody’s attention,” another said.

There was shouting, and cheering, and tales of chaos at the high school, where teachers and students have been complaining for months.

At a previous meeting in late January, educators, parents and students described vaping in school bathrooms, sexual activity in school stairwells, daily fights, students wandering the halls, others letting outsiders in, MassLive reports.

“There’s fights practically every day,” senior Lydia Bloodworth said. “Students and teachers are suffering bodily harm.”

Go Ad-Free, Get Content, Go Premium Today - $1 Trial

“These are the words that I’ve heard echoed over and over: ‘Nothing is done,’” Stacey McDonald, president of the Brockton Educational Support Professional Association said. “Stop beating around the bush and act immediately. We don’t have time anymore, and ignoring our pleas is failing our students at BHS.”

School committee members Joyce Asack, Tony Rodrigues, Claudio Gomes, and Ana Oliver attempted to respond with a request earlier this month for Gov. Healey to send in the National Guard to “prevent a potential tragedy.”

Brockton Mayor Robert Sullivan, chair of the school committee, opposed the move but nonetheless forwarded the request to Healey, who rejected the idea this week.

“I don’t think the National Guard is appropriate,” Healey told reporters on Monday. “I do understand though the concerns raised by the school committee and others in the community.”

The governor instead offered a grant to fund a school safety audit.

“We want to make sure, and as governor I want to make sure, that every student and educator in this state, including in Brockton, is safe and is able to go to school and learn in a safe environment, so our job is to make sure that they receive assistance that way and support,” Healey said. “That’s why we’ve given them the money to be able to do that public safety audit and to make sure the right resources are in place.”

Sullivan said in a statement cited by MassLive that he prefers “a collaborative approach that involves the entire community, including parents, students, educators, and law enforcement, to tackle these challenges head on.”

The troubles at Brockton have surfaced as Superintendent Mike Thomas was on medical leave that started on Aug. 31, shortly after the district revealed a $14 million budget deficit for fiscal year 2023.

Thomas returned on Tuesday to speak at the school committee meeting, but said he remains on paid leave amid an investigation into district finances, WCVB reports.

“If Mike Thomas was here, this stuff at the high school you know would not be happening,” Thomas told the packed meeting. “Not a chance!”

Thomas’ return was met with applause, while Sullivan’s attempts to explain the investigation received pushback from the crowd.

“I was not make aware of a Fiscal 23 deficit until the date of August 8th, and that’s a fact!” Sullivan said.

For now, Brockton Police Chief Brenda Perez told parents officials will review the school’s security plan, and offered ways administrators could tighten classroom security, control access to the school, and train personnel to improve the situation, according WBTS.

“In looking at the school safety measures, I found the school district’s most current security plan is approximately 10 years old,” she said.

Math teacher Julie Fairfied and others urged officials to do more.

“This is the first year I’ve ever thought that I could be hurt,” she said. “You have that few who are really bad, and they’re so bad.”