Numerous students at Carver Middle School, N.C., were sent home or to the hospital this week after a student distributed “gummies containing an unidentified controlled substance” to classmates.

“One of our eighth-grade students brought gummies containing an unidentified controlled substance to school and shared them with several other students in their class,” according to the district’s pre-recorded phone call to parents cited by WBTW. “Some of those students began to feel unwell. The school nurse was alerted and the administration was notified. Medics were called to campus to assess the students and determined they had ingested a drug.”

Go Ad-Free, Get Content, Go Premium Today - $1 Trial

Officials at the Scotland County District on Wednesday called some parents to pick their kids up from school, while others were taken to the hospital for monitoring.

“Additionally, law enforcement was notified and they are investigating,” according to call. “Based on our Code of Conduct, the violator or violators will face disciplinary action and possible criminal charges.”

Scotland County Sheriff’s Office Capt. Randy Dover told WPDE officials suspect the gummies involved in “overdoses” contained THC, the active component of marijuana. Parents said as many as eight students were examined by paramedics. Marijuana is illegal in North Carolina.

The incident at Carver is only one of several involving students consuming what police suspect are marijuana-infused gummies this week alone. The incidents have grown increasingly more common across the country as more states have moved to legalize or decriminalize marijuana, both for medical and recreational uses.

Go Ad-Free, Get Content, Go Premium Today - $1 Trial

In Jacksonville, Fla., five out of at least six students from Twin Lakes Academy Middle School were taken to the hospital on Monday after they became sick from eating gummies, also brought in by a student and shared with classmates.

“The problem especially with a gummy format, is that when children get their hands on them, do you know how many gummies they usually take? All of them,” Florida Poison Control spokesman Mike McCormick told WJAX.

“We have this wide array of products that are out there that are available,” McCormick said. “And what ends up happening, as we’re seeing recreational marijuana laws change across the country, there is an overall perception that this is not dangerous for children. And the reality is it is dangerous for children.”

Florida Poison Control has documented nearly 800 children exposed to hemp-based products in the last year, McCormick said, up from one case of exposure in 2016.

McCormick detailed for the news site some of the symptoms students can experience when they consume marijuana-infused gummies.

“We can see hallucinations, we can see vomiting, tremors, anxiety, dizziness, confusion, even loss of consciousness,” he said.

First responders were at Keefer Crossing Middle School in New Caney, Texas on Tuesday to transport seven students who had consumed gummies to area hospitals. Authorities confirmed the gummies brought in by a student contained THC, and are now pursuing a criminal investigation, KTRK reports.

In Spalding County, Georgia, parent Deesia Thrasher told WBS her 9-year-old daughter was suspended for four days for unwittingly consuming THC gummies brought to Orrs Elementary School by a classmate.

Thrasher said her daughter was loaded into an ambulance when she arrived at the school on Monday.

“It scared me,” she said. “I didn’t know if she was going to make it.”

“They said her blood pressure was high. They said her heart rate was beating fast,” Thasher told the news site. “I was scared.”

Spalding-Griffin Schools District spokesman Adam Pugh said the child ate the “candy” shortly after 7 a.m., but didn’t show signs of impairment until nearly noon. After seven hours in the hospital, doctors said the girl suffered an accidental cannabis overdose. Thrasher doesn’t believe her daughter should be punished for consuming something she didn’t understand.

“Y’all suspend my child for no reason,” she said. “My child should not have been suspended.”

The situation in Spalding County followed about two weeks after three first-graders at Hill City Elementary School in Pickens County, Ga., were sent to the hospital for eating a THC infused candy that resembled a Nerds rope, WSB reports.

“He was so pale, and he couldn’t do nothing. He could even walk,” Hannah Puddick, mother of one of the hospitalized 7-yar-olds told the news site.

“I’ve talked to my 13-year-old about it because that’s the exploratory stage,” Puddick said. “Never thought I would have to talk to my first-grader.”